The Hull Brewing Company was established in New Haven, Connecticut in 1872 by Colonel William Hull. Shortly after it opened it was affectionately referred to as “Hull’s”. Brewing was nonstop at The Hull Brewing Company until prohibition hit in 1920. From 1920 To 1933, while most local breweries shut down, Hull’s stayed in business by producing ice and non-alcoholic malt beverages. Shortly after the repeal of prohibition in 1933, The Hull Brewing Company moved its operations to The Old Fresenius Brewery, located at 820 Congress Avenue, where it thrived. In it’s new location it ultimately became, to this day, Connecticut’s largest brewery. Hull’s was definitively Connecticut’s beer, however, mainly due to pressures from national beer brands penetrating the State, after 105 years it closed in 1977. In January of 2018 a young, 36 at the time, life-long resident of New Haven revived Hull’s.